Olá from Portugal
So sad to leave the dream place, seriously my favorite country I have visited since I have been abroad. The food, the streets, the architecture, the people, the shopping, the views. Everywhere we went was a D R E A M. Today, I am sharing my tips and recommendations of what to do while you are in Portugal.
THINGS TO DO:
- Make sure to visit the famous beach town, Cascais (40 minute train ride on the Metro and only €4.40 for round trip tickets)
- Take a trip to their “fairytale town,” Sintra (40 minute train ride on the Metro and only €4.40 for round trip tickets)
- Brunch is always my favorite part to start my day. We ate at the CUTEST brunch places: Dear Breakfast & Heim Cafe. €10 for an ENTIRE FULL breakfast.
- The first time I was ever introduce to “tapas.” Tapas is: small Spanish savory dishes that you are able to share amongst one another, typically served with drinks at a bar. I highly recommend going to these Portuguese tapas restaurants while you are in Lisbon: Cantinho Lusitano & Caso SÉrio. If you are in a group of 7 like I was, make sure to order wine for the table! Only €3 split between all of you, worth the wine and delicious sangria.
TIPS/ADVICE WHEN TRAVELING TO PORTUGAL:
- Fly into Lisbon, the capital city of the country and one of the oldest cities in Europe. Older than Rome but younger than Athens, this place was a dream.
- Airbnb a place, and make sure your location is precise. Everyone walks in Lisbon (so be prepared with cute and comfortable shoes) Our Airbnb was walking distance from downtown, the Metro, delicious food places, and shopping. I spent €35 in TOTAL for an Airbnb with my girl friends, for THREE NIGHTS.
- When visiting Sintra, MAKE SURE to go to the Park and Palace of Sintra. The entire village is available for €18 and was very much well worth the money.
- Pack warm during this time of year (December) = a light jacket!
Order of the cities that I had visited: Lisbon, Cascais, and Sintra
Stayed tuned until next week for my last trip of my study abroad experience. Ciao for now!
xoxo — Bree